My new bicycle is special, so special, that normal mudguard systems do not fit or, at best, are keeping only half of the dirt away from me.
So I decided to make my own mudguard system .. the „Bike Shield“.
Before I set of to design my Bike Shield in a CAD program, I drew a little sketch, to get an idea about what I wanted to build. Because the printing size of my 3D printer is limited (around 150x150x150mm), I decided to create a modular design. This has another advantage: It is quite easy to design in a CAD tool.
For the mechanical design I used the free tool „DesignSpark Mechanical“ from RS Components [Link]. It is based on the CAD tool called SpaceClaim Engineer. „DesignSpark Mechanical“ has just a subset of the functionality, but it is powerful enough for smaller projects.
I find it really nice, that it can export your design in STL-format, which can be printed by most 3D printers.
Left and right you can see the connectors to the next Bike Shield. In the middle there are two spaces to attach the „Bike Shield“ to the bicycle frame.
On the bottom side you can see two indentions on the upper and lower side, this will reduce mud splashing around.
Before I start my 3D printer, I like to make a kind of a paper prototype. This takes just minutes, instead of 2:30h/3:00h that the 3D print would take. So it saves lots of time. I found a few minor issues with this paper prototype and corrected them and then I started my first 3D print job.
Pimp my bike
After hours and hours of printing I finally zip-tied everything together (black zip ties might look better):
I also attached some foam-rubber on top of the spacers.
I am really looking forward to test the „Bike Shield“ in the mud tomorrow. Wish me luck!